Specifically, in the summer months, Wisconsin roads often undergo construction. These are necessary to repair damages and maintain safety for both drivers and pedestrians. Unfortunately, construction in roads and traffic areas can lead to accidents, not only to the drivers and pedestrians but also to the road workers. These construction zone accidents can range from mild to fatal, and a Kenosha attorney has experience with all types of cases.
Additionally, Wisconsin has many great breweries, museums, and parks. With so many places to visit, we can expect lots of tourists to visit the state, especially during the summer. With this increased traffic, the safety of our road construction crew is very important. Unfortunately, from 2013 to 2018, an average of 2,377 construction zone crashes occurred in the state. Of this, there was an average of 10 construction zone fatalities and 860 injuries, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation.
Causes of construction Work Site Accidents
- Narrowing of lanes
- Roadway obstacles/concrete barriers
- Insufficient/missing warning signage (or message boards, lights/arrows, cones)
- Driver error (distracted or speeding driver)
- Driving under influence (alcohol, drugs)
- Vehicular-related issue (tire problems, brake issues)
- Slow-moving heavy equipment/machinery
- Weather-related issues
Every year, more than 20,000 workers are injured in construction work zones. From 2003 to 2008, 12% of these are transportation-related incidents. Road construction workers put their lives on the line. These workers are exposed to several work hazards, which can lead to serious injury. Not only that, but construction zone workers are also vulnerable to accidents caused by drivers and motorists that drive by the active work zones.
If you or someone you love sustained an injury on a worksite, you should call the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. today. One Kenosha construction zone accident lawyers will discuss your situation and how we can assist you with your case.
Construction Safety Tips for Drivers
- Always observe traffic signs and follow posted speed limits. These warnings are put in place for your safety and the safety of the people improving the road conditions.
- Maintain some distance between your car and the vehicle in front of you. Crews sometimes need to slow traffic down or stop it entirely. You may not be able to see too far ahead of you. If you slow down and leave enough space, you can make sure you have enough time to stop quickly.
- Do not drink and drive. Driving under the influence of alcohol can lead to accidents, as well as driving under the influence of drugs.
- Stop all of your distractions. When approaching a construction zone site, make sure to avoid any distractions such as making phone calls, turning the radio volume up, or reading something. In some instances, fines can increase if you use your phone or other devices while in a construction zone.
- Take caution at night. Although crews generally do not work overnight, in some instances, to get things done in time, they need to work late into the evening. Additionally, equipment might have accidentally been left in without any signs posted to point out that something is on the road. Be extra cautious when passing through a construction zone site at night.
Steps to Take After an Accident in a Construction Zone
If you’re involved in a construction zone accident, here are the things you need to do before talking to a lawyer:
- Call the police and let them know about the situation and the location of the accident.
- Seek medical care. If there are others injured, call 911. Do not try to move anyone injured. If you are injured, try not to move a lot as it can aggravate your condition.
- Document everything. Take photos of the accident scene, damages, and injuries. All these can be used to help your representative build up your case.
- If there are witnesses, take their statements and get their information.
- As soon as the police arrive, tell them what happened. Provide them all the details they need.
Once you take these steps, it may be best for you to talk to an experienced, local construction area claims attorney to decide if any future steps are necessary.
When to Call an Experienced Kenosha Construction Zone Accident Attorney
It is important for drivers/motorists to observe road signage when approaching a work zone area. A lot of accidents occur in construction zone sites due to drivers not keeping their attention to the road and they can be held responsible for any accidents and injuries that result.
The attorneys at the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. in Kenosha will be able to provide you with excellent legal representation for your construction zone accident case. Contact our offices for a free consultation today.