contact us today! (847) 357-0403

What To Do If You Are Injured at Work?


No one wants to get injured at work. However, on occasion, injuries happen. If you have suffered an injury at work, you need to understand your state’s worker’s compensation laws. If you suffer a job-related injury, protect your legal rights. Nearly every employer is required by state law to provide some sort of workers compensation to their employees.

Accident Report

The first thing you should so after being injured is report immediately to your supervisor. Many states only allow a short period of time to report your accident under workers compensation. Some states require a notice to the employer in writing, while others accept a verbal notice. Employees should report all on-the-job injuries. Even if the employee did not sustain actual injuries, employers may need to implement new safety measures at work.

See a Doctor

You should see a doctor as soon as possible and if your injury warrants it, then go to the emergency room.

  • If you did not suffer a serious injury, ask your employer if they require you to see a certain doctor or if you may choose the doctor of your choice.
  • Specifically, if you are a federal employee, you are covered under Workers Compensation for Federal Employees (FECA), which means you may select any qualified doctor to be your treated doctor.
  • If FECA does not cover you, state laws will apply.

In some states, you have the right to see your own doctor if you make the request in writing. However, in most states you must see the company doctor for a maximum of 30 days. After 30 days, you are free to choose your own doctor.

Doctors report will have a big impact on the benefits you will receiving. You may be entitled to second opinion from a doctor under workers compensation. If the second doctor’s report agrees with the first doctor, then there is no problem and the compensation payment continues uninterrupted. But, if the second doctors’ opinion is different then, the office can weigh to see which doctor’s opinion is more credible or see a third doctor.

Filing Workers Compensation

Filing workers compensation is like filing an insurance claim, requesting for benefit. After notifying your employer, the employer must offer you a claim form immediately. The claim form must be completed in order for the employer to be obligated to provide benefits. If the form is not provided to you by the state, it can be located through this site:  state government agencies page. When completed, return the claim form to your employer. Remember to keep a copy of the completed claim form for yourself. Your employer would then have to complete “employer” section. The insurance company has 14 days to mail you a status letter about your claim. If the insurance company does not contact you within 14 days, you should call the insurance company.

Hire a Lawyer

Needing a lawyer depends no the complexity of the case. If there is confusion, or you do not understand any part of you case, be sure to contact a lawyer to represent you. For any reason the case involves you to stand before an administrative or court judge, you should hire a lawyer. If you or someone you love suffered an injury at work, contact the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. today for a free consultation.

R.F. Wittmeyer

Contact Us Today