• R.F Wittmeyer
  • December 7, 2017

Following an accident or injury, many people need extra help caring for themselves. Some have family members who’re available to provide that support. But many need the assistance of a home health aide.

When You Need Extra Help

Health insurance sometimes covers the cost of home health aides, but you may have high co-pays or only be reimbursed for a portion of the expense. If you have a personal injury claim, you may be able to have insurance pay for the home health aide. If you need extra help while you recover, here’s what you should know about filing a claim for a home health aide.

Compensation for Your Losses

Personal injury claims can cover a variety of damages such as medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Medical bills can include anything from emergency room visits to therapy to the cost of orthotic devices. Generally speaking, if your doctor says you need a particular treatment or therapy to recover from your injuries, you can ask for compensation for those costs.

A home health aide is someone who comes to your home if you are unable to leave and helps you with things like therapy exercises, administering medications, and self-care.

Whether or not the insurance company will compensate you for the costs of a home health aide will depend on the extent of your injuries, the treatment regimen your doctor prescribed, and whether you need an aide to help you.

Insurance Claims

In some cases, insurance companies will pay for home health aides if it means they do not have to pay for you to be in an inpatient setting. The costs of a hospital room or inpatient rehabilitation clinic are far more than the cost of a home health aide. In others, the insurance company might fight such a claim to compensation if it believes you do not need an aide to follow your specific treatment regime.

If your auto insurance policy doesn’t cover a home health aide, speak with an experienced Illinois personal injury attorney. An attorney can explain your right to compensation and help you work with the insurance company to get you the help you need to recover.

to speak to a member of our team today.

Captcha Verification*

Dear Friends and Clients of The Law Offices of R.F Wittmeyer, Ltd.:

 We want to assure you that during this time of international emergency due to the COVID-19 virus, our law firm is continuing to serve the needs of our clients and of our community.  Our office remains open for business, but is staffed by just a few of us. To protect the safety of our employees, most of us are working remotely.

The courts, for civil matters, are essentially closed at this point.  Most of the local court systems have issued emergency orders continuing all civil cases for 30 days.  We are using this time to continue to prepare your cases for settlement or trial.

 Do not hesitate to call us or email us with your questions or concerns, or if you would like to discuss a new case, as we remain available to address your needs.

We hope that each of you and your families stay safe and healthy during this unprecedented challenge.

Yours Sincerely,

Ronald F. Wittmeyer, Jr.

Managing Attorney