- R.F Wittmeyer
- October 1, 2018
Many people see new construction and get excited about the new stores, homes, or parks that come with them. However, construction causes many serious injuries, or even death, to construction workers. They perform risky tasks such as use hazardous machinery. Additionally, they work on road construction where cars at fast speed drive by. Lastly, they climb great heights which put them at a risk of serious injury every day at work.
Common injuries on Construction sites
Construction workers face the risk of construction site accident injuries everyday at work. The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) have compiled a list of top causes of injuries that occur on construction sites, which include:
- Collapsed scaffolding – when workers do not carefully inspect a site for stability, it can lead to scaffolding causing workers death or serious bodily injury.
- Trench Collapse – A dangerous and disturbing image for a worker. A trench collapse can cut a worker’s air supply. In some instances, a collapse can bury a worker alive.
- Electric Shocks and or flash/blast – when working with dangerous machinery and tools, the workers have to take extra safety precautions. Machines such as generators, power tools and electrical wiring can put workers in a high risk of suffering electrical burns.
- Falling from heights- A common way to sustain injury for a worker is falling from great heights at construction sites. Serious injuries may occur when workers fall into holes or ditches.
- Failure to used appropriate protective gear – Safety gear, especially on construction sites, are very important. Hardhat, safety glasses and other protective gears are provided to keep the workers safe. Failure to use the protective gear may result in injuries.
- Traffic accidents – Workers on roadside, especially highways have a risk of traffic injuries from the speeding cars. Although all efforts are made in securing the area and allowing signs for the cars to slow down, workers should be aware of their surrounding and not rely on the signs to prevent the vehicles from making an accident.
- Workers mistake – Errors made by workers can cause injury and harm to the workers themselves and those who are around. The errors could be from the tool and machinery or the failure to properly perform task.
Types of Construction Site Injuries
In conclusion, many construction site accident injuries are serious and horrific. Examples include:
- Head or brain injury
- Neck shoulder and back injury
- broken bones
- Eye injury (vision impairment or blindness)
- Toxic chemical exposure causing illness
Construction workers have to deal with injuries whether they are major or minor. Either way, those injuries require medical attention. With injuries that require medical attention from the pain and suffering often lead to finance limitations due to medical bills and missed days at work. If someone has been hurt, they should allow an attorney to examine the case to help determine if a claim can be filed for workers compensation, helping the workers gain back the loss income.
An attorney can help in many ways, including, determining whether the injury case can be filed as workers compensation or a third-party liability. If you or someone you know were involved in an accident with construction site, contact the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. today for a free consultation.