Motorcycle accidents due to someone else’s negligent or other wrongful conduct occur often in Arlington Heights and many of the injured persons ask whether or not they really need an Arlington Heights motorcycle accident lawyer to represent them. Due to the unforeseen motorcycle accident, victims are forced to deal with hospitalization, medical treatments, missed work, and lost income. In many instances, a victim also has to deal with ongoing pain and injury. En Español
Our Arlington Heights injury lawyers have handled nearly every type of motorcycle accident and we have helped motorcycle accident victims with nearly every type of injury, including neck, head, and brain injuries.
Contacting a Motorcycle Accident Attorney
On a nice summer day, motorcycles go up and down the interstate system in Illinois. Motorcycle enthusiasts enjoy the freedom and adventure of their trips. However, unfortunately, in 2013, over 4,000 individuals died in fatal motorcycle accidents and many more were injured. Injuries can range from head injuries, road rash, leg injuries, and muscle damage. Motorcycle accidents cause injuries with lingering effects every day that make it hard for victims to live the lives they led prior to the accident. If an injury has been sustained, an individual may need to consult a personal injury attorney who has the experience to help regain normalcy.
After a serious or permanent injury has been sustained from a motorcycle, an individual may need to consult a personal injury lawyer to even the playing field with the claims representative or defense attorneys. Claim representatives have specialized training and experience and are closely supervised to operate within strict insurance company guidelines. Sometimes insurance adjusters will go to great lengths to keep an injured motorcycle accident victim in Arlington Heights from hiring an attorney to represent him or her.
As is also often the case, free advice from family and friends on a personal injury claim is easy to come by. However, personal injury cases can be a lot more complicated than they may appear on the surface. For over thirty years, the Arlington Heights motorcycle accident lawyers at the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. has helped people like you to secure fair compensation for their injuries. Call for a free consultation to see how he can help you.
Steps to Take After an Arlington Heights Motorcycle Accident
- Be safe. Make sure that you are safe and that all people involved are safe. Don’t step out into traffic. Traffic is an extremely dangerous place.
- If there is dangerous or serious situation at hand, do what you can to help or get help.
- Call the police. If anyone is injured, call 911 and make sure an ambulance is on the way.
- Document what just took place. Take detailed notes. Get license plate numbers. Take pictures of everything.
- Seek immediate medical attention. Tell a doctor about all of the parts of your body you may have injured, not just the parts that are hurting the most.
- Don’t admit any liability at this time. Responsibility will be sorted out later when all of the facts are reviewed.
- Get witness information – names and phone number, specifically. Document a description of witnesses.
- If the police arrive, get any information on getting a copy of the police report. Take note on what agency the officer is with. Record information on the vehicle the officer is in.
- Don’t leave the scene of the accident until the police have arrived and the necessary information has been obtained. If the police are not coming then make sure you have all of the above information before leaving.
- If tow trucks are involved, get all necessary information on the drivers, trucks, and towing companies. Find out where they are taking the vehicles.
- Contact an experienced personal injury law firm for help.
- Do not give a statement to the adverse driver’s insurance company without talking to an attorney first.
When riding a motorcycle in Illinois, it is important to know the specific Illinois motorcycle safety laws and to increase the best practices to be safe while riding. The Illinois Department of Transportation offers Motorcycle Rider Education courses to increase the knowledge and safety of motorcycle riders to assist riders with knowledge and skills. Additionally, many state universities and community colleges offer free motorcycle rider education courses throughout northern Illinois, including the Northern Illinois University Motorcycle Safety Project in Dekalb and the Harper College Motorcycle Safety Training Program in Palatine.
How Insurance Companies “Advise”
After a motorcycle accident, an individual’s first call is typically to their insurance company. However, insurance companies work to minimize the amount they pay to injured people, so hiring an experienced Arlington Heights motorcycle accident lawyer offers you the best chance of getting the money you deserve after an accident where you have been injured.
Insurance adjusters have been known to “advise” injured persons that they do not need a lawyer. They tell their customers that a lawyer will only cost them more money than the insurance company would gladly otherwise pay to them. They claim that they will take care of the claimant and see to it that they receive every penny of compensation that they are legally entitled to. But the insurance company is motivated to do only one thing, which is to settle your claim as cheaply as possible, preferably with you coming away believing that the adverse insurance company took good care of you.
Insurance companies and defendants generally fight cases and do not make quick, easy settlements, except in very small cases. At the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd., our attorneys previously worked for insurance companies and have over thirty years of experience helping people injured in motorcycle accidents.
How Our Arlington Heights Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Can Help
After a motorcycle accident, the Law Offices of R.F. Wittmeyer, Ltd. begin with a free initial consultation. When the consultation ends, we will evaluate the merits of your case and you will evaluate our representation. If we agree to handle your case, you will be represented by an Arlington Heights motorcycle accident attorney with over 30 years of experience. We work on a contingency fee basis, which means that you pay nothing unless we recover funds for you.